1. What is the substance most used by high school seniors? The correct answer is C. 44% of high school seniors drank alcohol in the past month; 21% used marijuana.
2. Studies have found that up to 14 percent of drivers injured or killed in traffic accidents tested positive for: The correct answer is C. Alcohol remains the number one drug reported in traffic related deaths. Marijuana can alter perception, attention, coordination, and reaction time - all of which are necessary for safe driving.
3. The most commonly abused class of prescription drug is: The correct answer is C. The latest survey shows that nearly 5.3 million people abused pain reliever in the past month.
4. How many Americans die from diseases associated with tobacco use each year? The correct answer is D. Of the 440,000, 49,900 deaths were attributed to people who were exposed to secondhand smoke!
5. Why does marijuana make you hungry? The correct answer is B. THC affects several brain areas, including those that influence appetite as well as pleasure, memory, perception, pain, movement, coordination, and more.
6. Anabolic (growing or building) steroids - used by some athletes to improve performance - can do which of the following? The correct answer is E. To the get the desired effects on performance, users take high doses of steroids, which can lead to all of the effects noted - some of which can be permanent.
7. What groups abuses inhalants (breathing in chemical vapors - "huffing") the most? The correct answer is C. The latest survey of 8th, 10th, and 12 th graders reported the highest rates of inhalant abuse among 8th graders!
8. Snorting cocaine can cause: The correct answer is D. Cocaine users not only risk panic attacks, heart attacks, and seizures, but also respiratory failure, strokes, and death!
9. What is the leading cause of preventable birth defects? The correct answer is B 朅lcohol. Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is the most common known preventable cause of mental impairment. Babies born FAS may have lifelong problems in learning, memory, attention, and problem solving.
10. Many teens abuse prescriptions drugs. How do most get them? The correct answer is B. Most high school seniors who abused prescription drugs got them for free from a friend or relative; very few of them get them from the internet.
11. When a person gradually needs a larger dose of a drug to get the same effects, it is referred to as: The correct answer is B - Tolerance
12. Drug abusers are at risk for HIV infection: The correct answer is D - Sharing needles and making bad decisions.
13. The drug, methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) is also called "X because: The correct answer is D. MDMA is called "X" because it is short for "Ecstasy". But the drug also causes muscle cramping and teeth clenching.
14. Which of the following is associated with teenage drinking? The correct is answer is D. All of these, plus school failure and injuries are associated with teenage drinking.
15. Which chemicals below will enter your lungs when you take a puff of a cigarette? The correct answer is E. All of these chemicals can be found in cigarettes, along with about 4,000 more. Of these, 250 are known to be harmful, with 50 found to cause cancer.
16. How many teens (age 12 to 17) are treated for substance abuse in a year? The correct answer is C - 142,000!
17. Alcohol acts as a depressant. This means: The correct answer is A - Alcohol slows down the brain. Who wants that??
18. What percentage of people who try marijuana will become addicted to it? The correct answer is D. MARIJUANA IS ADDICTIVE! The risk increases among those who start early and those who use daily.
19. It is safe to use prescription medications when: The correct answer is C. No matter how well-intentioned friends and family may be, ONLY A DOCTOR IS QUALIFIED to prescribe the right medication in the right dose for you!
20. What is your anti-drug? The correct answer is ANYTHING OTHER THAN ABUSING DRUGS OR ALCOHOL! Good Job!!
21. Abusing substances does what do your brain? The correct is C. Did this question mess with your head? That's exactly what drugs do!