Within the past few weeks, it has come to my attention that specific groups within our state have raised questions about PA academic standards and the common core.
Tests were conducted to identify temperature, relative humidity, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide utilizing a Gray Wolf IAQ monitoring devise along with spore trap air sampling in various classrooms and corridors in both A and B sections of the building. Results were compared against standards recommended by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE.) A summary of test results includes the following:
1. Spore tests for mold were well below acceptable ranges; indoor counts are less than those outside the building.
2. The average temperature in 3 rooms was 1 degree below the recommended standards for this time of year. The maintenance department has reset ranges to correct this situation.
3. The relative humidity reading in 3 rooms was below recommended levels; levels spiked above the recommended level for periods of time during the testing periods. Settings on air dampers have been adjusted to correct this situation.
4. The Carbon Dioxide levels in 4 rooms occasionally spiked above recommended level for a period of time, then dissipated, throughout the testing periods. Spikes in Carbon Dioxide levels frequently occur based on the number of people in a room and/or physical activity. Additional balancing work has been conducted to ensure that the HVAC system responds more quickly to temporary increases in Carbon Dioxide.
5. Carbon Monoxide readings in all rooms were below maximum levels throughout the testing period.
1. DHS Tour: I understand that not everyone was able to participate in the August dedication and tour of our new Donegal High School. Therefore, another tour date has been established. On December 2, 2012, DHS will be open from 2 to 4 p.m.; students will be stationed throughout the building to assist. I look forward to seeing you!
As we begin this new school year, we have cause for both celebration and concern. We will continue to work together to solidify effective instructional practices, to strengthen the home-school connection, and to support increased academic achievement.
Save the Date: August 26, 2012.
I look forward to the Donegal School Spirit celebration on May 7th at the Barnstormers' game (Clipper Stadium, Lancaster). The pre-game activities will begin at 6:30 p.m. Wear your Donegal green or Donegal apparel. When you see me at the game, hopefully you will take a moment to stop and say hello.